Mandate Letters of the Ontario Government
In the letter to the Minister responsible for Municipal Affairs and Housing, the Hon. Ted McMeekin, note in particular the following sections:
Improving Land Use Planning
- Undertaking initiatives, as the lead minister for Ontario’s one-window land use planning system, that will balance the need to support economic growth, protect the environment and improve the province’s social well-being.
- Supporting the development of sustainable, transit-friendly complete communities by amending the Planning Act and the Development Charges Act to improve land use planning and encourage smarter growth, with these amendments ensuring respect for local official plans and decision-making, generating more growth-related revenue for transit, requiring that citizen input is considered in the land use planning process and having the effect of reducing the number of applications to the Ontario Municipal Board.
- Leading a review of the scope and effectiveness of the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB). Working with the Attorney General and key stakeholders, you will recommend possible reforms that would improve the OMB’s role within the broader land use planning system.>
Reviewing Municipal Governance
- Undertaking a review of the Municipal Elections Act after the 2014 municipal elections. You will ensure that the act meets the needs of communities, and that it provides municipalities with the option of using ranked ballots in future elections, starting in 2018, as an alternative to first-past-the-post.
To the Hon Bill Mauro, Minister of Natural Resources and Forestry:
- Supporting the Biodiversity Strategy. You will continue to work with other ministers and partners to advance measures aimed at further strengthening and protecting Ontario’s biodiversity.
- Working with other ministers, municipalities and partners to conduct a review of Ontario’s broader wetland strategy. Your goal is to strengthen wetland policies and stop the net loss of wetlands.
Implementing the Endangered Species Act
- Implementing the Endangered Species Act. I ask that you continue to implement the act in a way that protects and promotes the recovery of species at risk in Ontario.
Words to the Hon. Glen Murray, Minister of the Environment and Climate Change, come under these headings:
Moving Forward on Climate Change | Protecting the Great Lakes | Increasing Waste Diversion | Improving Drinking Water for First Nations | Improving Pollinator Health | Safeguarding People from Toxics | Supporting the Development of the Ring of Fire | Enhancing Polluter Responsibility .