Petition: Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson: Stop the killing and maiming of animals in Kanata North
- Sign the petition >> https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Ottawa_Mayor_Jim_Watson_Stop_the_ki...
To Hon Kathryn McGarry, Ontario Minister of Natural Resources and Forestry
Mayor Jim Watson
Richard Sachs, Owner of Urbandale
Kris Singhal, Owner of Richcraft, (companies involved in Kanata North Lands
We call on you to halt the clear‐cutting taking place in Kanata Lakes
North, sparing the lives of hibernating and resident wildlife. Ottawa’s Protocol for Wildlife Protection during Construction recommends that site clearing take place in late summer to early fall, so that animals have a chance to escape the destruction of their habitat. To do otherwise is inhumane. The clear‐cutting must stop immediately. We demand that the guidelines set out in the Protocol be respected and enforced. The Kanata Lakes North project has been years in the planning, yet the clear‐cut proceeds at the worst time for animals.
By the City’s own assessment, the clear‐cut is taking place in the most bio‐diverse area of Ottawa, our last old growth forest. Even the most ordinary animal deserves the
protection of our humanity. Let’s support regulations that value animals’ lives over profit.
Add your name to the petition above with one click on the link, then forward this to friends and family.
With hope, and in solidarity with animals who have no voice...
For more information on the issue:
- Donna DuBreuil, Winter tree cutting a threat to wildlife, West Carleton Review, January 6, 2017, on page 3 at this link: https://issuu.com/westcarletonreview/docs/westcarleton010517
- Reproduced at: http://unpublishedottawa.com/letter/123146/knl‐tree‐cutting‐threatens‐wildlife
- Jessica Cunha, Tree cutting begins on KNL lands, Kanata Kourier‐Standard, January 8, 2017: http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/news‐story/7054073‐tree‐cutting‐begins‐on‐knl‐lands/
- Marianne Wilkinson, KNL Expansion Lands, newsletter with video, January 2017. Detailed reporting of work on the KNL site from the Ward Councillor: https://mariannewilkinson.com/knl‐expansion‐lands/
- Paul Renaud, Winter Kill in the South March Highlands, May 14, 2011. The story surrounding the dead porcupine, by the photographer: http://renaud.ca/wordpress/?p=1014
Sign the petition >> https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Ottawa_Mayor_Jim_Watson_Stop_the_ki...