Professor, Political Studies
UnpublishedCafe podcast: Trudeau's new Liberal Cabinet
The federal Liberals took the wraps off their new Cabinet following their minority election win in September. Justin Trudeau continued to aim for gender parity in Cabinet despite losing four female MP’s on election night.
There is a bit of strategy to crafting a Cabinet with a number of considerations to consider, regional representation, defeated incumbents, loyalty and success. It’s not an easy thing to do when you know some egos will be bruised.
The purpose is to create a “team” to accomplish the government’s goals. There are a number of faces in new portfolios, some that were head scratchers.
Our Unpublished.vote question asks:
Which Cabinet Minister will be the first to be shuffled out?
- Mélanie Joly, Foreign Affairs
- Anita Anand, Defence
- Steven Guilbeault, Environment
- Jean Yves Duclos, Health
- Patty Hajdu, Indigenous Affairs
- None of the Above
You can log-on and vote right now at Unpublished.vote to have your voice heard.
Coming up on the Unpublished Cafe podcast we’ll take a look at the bench strength of this Cabinet and where it may succeed or fail.
- Nelson Wiseman, Director of Canadian Studies and Professor of Political Science; University of Toronto
- Lori Turnbull, Director School of Public Administration; Dalhousie University
- Tasha Kheiriddin, Public Policy Analyst and Political Commentator